Sunday, July 6, 2008

Some yummy things I found

So I've got an abundance of herbs this season. Between the rain that we had last week and the hot, summery weather we've had the past few days my herbs are showing that they're ecstatic about the conditions. (Except for the dill which was attacked by spider mites. I'm in a life or death battle with those buggers!)

So here are some tasty recipes that I wanted to put here so I'd be able to find them easier later.


Basil Butter
By Diana Rattray, About.com
Use this mixture to spread on rolls or bread, then wrap in foil and heat.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon dried leaf basil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced parsley
Preparation:Mix all ingredients until smooth. Spread on French bread or rolls; wrap in foil and bake at 325° until hot. Keep basil butter in refrigerator



Cilantro Herb Butter
Ingredients
4 tablespoon butter (1/2 stick)
1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon finely minced garlic
Salt & pepper
In a small bowl, add the butter and let it soften. It shouldn't take more than 10 or 15 minutes to be workable. Add the lemon peel, cilantro and garlic and mush together with a fork. Season with a little salt and pepper.
On a sheet of plastic wrap, add the butter and roll it up to form a butter log about 3 - 4 inches long. Stick it in the freezer to firm up. When you are ready to use it, take it out of the freezer and cut off thin coin shaped pieces.



Rosemary Butter
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbl fresh rosemary leaves, removed from the stem
1/2 tsp orange or lemon zest
1/4 tsp crushed red chili pepper
1 stick butter, softened
Combine all of the ingredients. Make a log by spreading the mixture across a length of waxed paper. Roll the log back and forth to make a smooth tube about 1 1/2 inches thick. Twist the ends and store in the refrigerator or wrap airtight and store in the freezer.




Later I'll be looking for some that I can use my garlic chives with. They're just not quite big enough yet. Oh and also hot pepper herb butter. That's if my hot peppers every produce anything from my Aeroponic grower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_p4t1Buv-I

No comments: