Sunday, January 18, 2009

Tonights dinner

Well tonight I've decided to make something rather than use up leftovers as we have little to no leftovers left.

I usually prefer to use up my frozen casseroles for weekdays when I have less time to cook so that left me wondering what to make.
After watching another episode of Anthony Bourdain No Reservation on Youtube last night I decided to go with one of my current favs. Beef tongue.

BEEF TONGUE WITH RAISIN SAUCE
Printed from COOKS.COM
1 fresh Kosher Beef Tongue
3 sm. onions
2 sm. carrots
4 stalks celery & leaves
6 sprigs parsley
8 peppercorns
Salt & pepper
1/2 c. almonds, blanched & split
2/3 c. seedless raisins
6 tbsp. cooking fat
3 tbsp. flour
1/4 c. crushed gingersnaps
1 lemon, cut into sm. cubes
Place tongue in a large kettle with onions, carrots, celery and parsley. Add water to cover. Add peppercorns and salt. Simmer gently until tender, 3 to 5 hours. Drain. Reserve liquid. Melt fat and add flour and stir until blended. Gradually stir in reserved raisin and almond liquid and enough tongue liquid to make 3 cups in all. Add gingersnaps, almonds, raisins and lemon cubes. Season with salt and paprika. Pour over sliced tongue.
Serve hot.

No comments: