Thursday, June 25, 2009

Eggplant Sandwiches

I tried this recipe last night and I just fell in love with it! These types of sandwiches are definetely not to be eaten with your hands. They're messy!



Ingredients:
1 large peeled eggplant
3 leafs of lettuce
1 medium tomato, sliced
3 slices ham
3 slices of mozzarella cheese (I used provolone as I couldn't find any mozzarella. Must've been a shortage here in Fairbanks)
1/4 tbs chicken boullion
2 tbs olive oil


Directions:

Cut off ends of eggplant and cut lengthwise into 6 slices. Sprinkle slice with chicken boullion and grill in hot skillet (I used a George Forman Grill) with olive oil for about 3 minutes on each side, until tender. Arrange 1 eggplant slice on 3 plates and top each slice with 1 slice ham, 1 slice of cheese, 1 leaf lettuce and tomato. Top with remaining slices of eggplant to make sandwiches. Top with grated parmesan cheese. Serve with side salad. Makes 3 sandwiches.


First I used a a teeny tiny eggplant and this still made a somewhat smaller "sandwich" for Nick and then two larger ones for myself. Also I grilled the ham along with the eggplant slices which gave the ham a nice smokey, barbequed flavor. The provolone I think added a nice touch.

No comments: