Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Rotisserie chicken; mashed potatoes and gravy; sauteed swiss chard

SATURDAY
Rotisserie Chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy. Swiss Chard picked from the garden.

This one will be all my own creation.
I make my own herb butters so after cleaning the chicken I plan to make small slices in the breast meat from inside the chicken and place some herb butter in the meat. I'll take a sprig or two of thyme and a sprig of rosemary and fill the cavity with that.
Then I'll rub the exterior with a bit of olive oil, thyme; salt; pepper; paprika and then set it on the rotisserie. Usually takes about an hour with my rotisserie.

Mashed potatoes and gravy.
Duh. Well gravy sometimes can be tricky but I start taking the drippings from the chicken on the rotisserie and collect it in a small sauce pan. Once I've gotten a good amount I add a bit of flour to make a rue. Then slowly add some water/chicken broth or wine and allow to thicken.
It's funny I write about this because it takes a lot of thought for me to actually think of all the steps to make this! I've made this for the past 15 years so it's almost instinctual.
It's like one of those recipes that you know right off the top of your head.
So anyways, cook over medium heat till bubbly. At this point you can add whatever spices taste good to you. I usually use garlic salt, salt, pepper or some thyme. Just depends.

Swiss Chard
Another super easy one. We have to use up our swiss chard in the yard.
Between the rabbits and the bugs eating it, if we don't harvest the meager amount we have out there we'll lose it all. I noticed this morning that one leaf had a large chunk bitten out of it.

1 clove garlic
about a tbsp of olive oil
Swiss chard.
Finely mince garlic. Wash swiss chard, then chop coarsely. Saute garlic in olive oil until translucent. About 2 -3 minutes over medium heat. Add swiss chard and allow swiss chard to cook until wilted.
Serve!

No comments: