Thursday, September 2, 2010

Traditional roast chicken, mashed sweet potato and corn on the cob.

SUNDAY
Since we didn't have this last week we're having it this week.
Roast chicken, with mashed potatoes and gravy with fresh corn on the cob.

This is all my own as its all so very simple. We love having "traditional Sunday meals....well on Sundays!

I simply take a whole fryer, make sure to remove all the parts inside and clean it out well. (many times I'll simmer those parts early in the day for snacking later when the house is smelling all lovely with roast chicken!)
Then fill cavity with a sprig or two of thyme, rosemary and a clove of garlic.
I make a few slices in the breast meat from inside and stuff some herb butter in there. Then rub the entire chicken with olive oil. Dust with salt (sparingly), pepper, garlic salt, paprika, dried thyme, sage, and parsley.
Bake covered according to directions on chicken to ensure that chicken is done completely. At the last 15 minutes or so I uncover the chicken so the skin can get crispy. Not exactly the healthies in the world but OH SO TASTY!
ENJOY!

Mashed sweet potatoes
I like to steam these skin on till fork tender. Once their soft enough I mash them with a bit of salted butter, nutmeg and milk. Serve.

Corn, just as easy. I now a days follow the directions of our CSA share producer, Brads Produce. Simply heat water till boiling. Throw ears of corn in for 3 minutes. Pull out, slather with butter and whatever else you prefer. Enjoy.


Now, here's a little after thought. One reason I really love making a whole chicken rather than just a chicken breast is because there is so much left behind that I can use!
I make broth out of the roasted leftover bones along with any discarded undesirable parts. I also make salads, wraps and sandwiches out of the leftover meat. Really, one single whole fryer chicken can produce about a total of 4 or 5 meals! That's always awesome for your checkbook!

No comments: